Monday, April 21, 2008

Three-year old logic

There is just no way on earth that anything is stronger, more powerful or unequivocally air-tight as three year-old logic. You cannot explain it. You cannot define it. You cannot argue with it. It just is, and that's the way it is.
My three year-old asks me to explain things that aren't as if they are, before I've even had a chance to explain that they aren't. I know, I know! It's pretty complex, but stick with me and I'll see if I can help you achieve the same minimal understanding as I have.
Today AirBear posed this question to me: "Mom, why MUST people lick their lips?" Just out of the blue like that. No warning. No provocation. No pre-question lip-licking involved. And not just why do people do it, but why do people have to do it?
So I take up the challenge of this little curve-ball as best I can. I explain that people don't HAVE to lick their lips, but sometimes if your lips are dry, or if you've spilt some ice-cream on your lips, you might be inclined to lick them.
Cool. End of story. I thought so, anyway.
We fetch T-Bird from her Monday extra-murals. The in-car chattering starts up almost immediately.
AirBear: "T, you know what Mommy said?"
 - Of course my ears prickle at the mention of Mommy - and I'm dying to know what wisdom is about to be imparted - 
T-Bird: "What?"
AirBear: "Mommy said that everyone has to suck on their lips so that they don't fall off!"

Er, excuse me? Which Mommy would that have been then? Who said anything about sucking or falling off? Which conversation are you referring to after all? Was I even present during this educational dialogue?

There are two obstacles which arise at this point. The first hurdle is to defend myself to my five year-old who can't believe I would be as stupid as to tell her little sister something so ridiculously untrue. The next complication is that, in my defense, I happen to point out that perhaps AirBear misunderstood our earlier chinwag, which brings the poor dear to a flood of tears released because her mother obviously doesn't love her and is unfairly reprimanding her.

Sigh. I need a drink. 

No comments: