Sunday, April 20, 2008

Talking to myself

When I was younger I used to have audible conversations with myself all the time. Sometimes I would be talking to myself, telling myself about what plans I had for the day, but sometimes I would practice a conversation I would have or should have had with someone. You know that whole, I-wish-I'd-said-that-at-the-time kind of feeling? Sometimes these little arguments would get quite loud and vehement drawing all kinds of unexpected attention from family members who happened to be in earshot at the time.
Well, one day, someone quipped that the first sign of madness was talking to yourself (as was growing hair on your palms, as was actually looking for it). Being quite concerned about the well being of my mind at the tender age of fourteen (and not wanting hirsute hands), I immediately ceased with the private chats.
Years have passed without me even politely greeting myself, and I think the situation is getting to a point of just plain awkwardness now. I mean, after all, I live with myself every day, and it just seems rude not to exchange words with someone you are in constant contact with. Doesn't it? Look, it's not been a completely silent relationship, of course. There are those days where things just seem to be going awfully wrong and I end up swearing at myself, but that also just doesn't seem quite right. I mean, surely if the only verbal exchange between people is cursing and cussing, then there's bound to be some kind of resentment, right?
So in the interest of preserving a happy connection with myself, I have started talking to myself again. It happened sort of out of the blue, like the words had just been dying to be spoken, but my consciousness was holding them back. Then one day, while my mind was focussed on something irrelevant (like which shopping center would provide me with the closest parking to the main entrance so I didn't have to lug my groceries very far), the silence in the car (fortunately it was there and not in the queue at the bank), was disrupted by a voice that is always a little uneasy to actually listen to - my own.
"So, since you're thinking shopping, are you sure you've remembered the loo rolls?"
And so started an easy conversation around household consumables.
Now the question arises: IS this a sign of madness, or is it healthy? I find that being able to audibly converse with myself, I get a better perspective on how I feel about things. I LISTEN to what I'm feeling and it makes me feel more balanced. Like I know myself a little better. And that can't be unhealthy, surely?
And if it is a little crazy? Well, what then? Couldn't I argue that everyone is a little crazy in some way or another? And what is normal anyway? NORMAL is the setting on a hairdryer.

So how normal are you?

No comments: