Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Nothing to Pooh-pooh

 Today, once again, I am grateful that I was able to leave my place of work to be a stay-at-home mom.
My little T-bird woke this morning with a bad case of the runs.
I was able to stay home with her and rush her to the loo every half an hour, sponge down her fevered brow, and lie her in my bed so that she would fall asleep as I played with her hair. How completely wonderful! Not the squirts, of course, but that I could play nurse to my ill child. Without great inconvenience.
If I had had to go to work, the situation would have been completely different. I would have fed her a ripe banana and some other bulk-forming cereal, disguised her fever with a double dose of paracetamol and sent her off to school with a pat on the bum (that I scotch-taped closed for the duration of the morning). OR, I would have dragged her to work with me, giving her strict instructions not to say anything, do anything, breathe on anybody or touch any of my equipment. The  child would have had to fend for her poor self while I pretended like she wasn't there so as to give my clients a mildly professional service. OR, I would have had to take leave from work, phoning my booked clients to tell them "Sorry about this little inconvenience, and the arrangements you've made with your employer to take off work for our appointment, but my child has a runny-bum, and I can't make it." So professional! Yuck to all three! Yay for me and for T-bird who got to stay home together!
Of course it wasn't all just lying in bed/ the bath/ the toilet. No, I undertook a supermom challenge this morning of mildly epic proportions.
While nursing my squittery offspring back to health, I also invaded the roof gutters with a handy trowel and removed buckets of fantastic compost from the rain drains. Of course this took some time, because just as I had gotten my balance on the edge of the roof, a wailing cry would bring me running into the house to get the pooper on the loo as fast as was (in)humanly possible.
But I reckon that, for it having been a well-interrupted exercise, it was pretty successful nonetheless. And in this case, success means that I did not fall off the roof, I did not get crap on my hands at all, and I get to tick another "To Do" off the list.

(She gives herself a rusty noddy-badge that she found in a drain-pipe).

No comments: