Thursday, April 24, 2008

A good omen

So today I woke up thinking it might be a good idea to be a red Indian with an intense superstitious side. Reason being, as I opened the bedroom curtains I was met by this sight:


It was a giant bird of prey having breakfast in my backyard! OK, so maybe it was just a medium-sized hawk, but he was still bigger than the average Maltese poodle, and I do think it calls for some sort of fabulous incredulous feeling to the day. 
Which brings me back to the red Indian comment earlier: I should be so lucky as to host a hungry hawk having a hefty helping of hors d'oeuvres. Wouldn't a red Indian be made for life if he was graced by the presence of an awesome winged beast such as this banqueting in his backyard?
So I'm feeling lucky. What brilliant gifts await me this day? I can think of a few that I could really do with, like the safe return of my ailing husband who got a bad case of food poisoning while on a business trip on the other side of the country which landed him in hospital with a ridiculously high fever and delirium and resulted in intravenous therapy to address his dehydration and the need for a massive bolus of antibiotic. Oh, and shorter sentences would be good too.
I guess though, that the visit of the vulture was a sign that I am indeed lucky. I am lucky enough not to own a dog or a cat which would never have allowed the bird to munch his brunch for well over one uninterrupted hour on the lawn. And this goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway just so you can keep up: I am thus lucky enough not to have to pick up dog poo everyday, and sneeze my way from sunup to sundown because of allergy provoking hairs floating on the breeze. Yay for me!
I am also fortunate to have been able to expose my kids to a whole episode straight out of the Discovery Channel when we don't even have satellite TV! 
So hooray for the eagle alighting on my lawn. I have a good feeling that today will be fantastic!



Plus, I am grateful that all the raptor left was feathers, and that bits of bird brains, intestines and skeleton were well and truly munched! Er, hooyay again?

1 comment:

Double J N T said...

Loving the blog Jess, no one does 'ramblings of a crazy woman' quite like you. :)
Give Brett a big get well kick, I mean cake (y'know it's the accent) with lots of love from us.
Jason is away on business at the moment, back Tuesday (yay)
love
jane