Friday, April 25, 2008

Salmonella sucks

Just when I was thinking that life without cell-phones would be impossible, my hubby goes and gets deliriously ill on the other side of the world (with a perfectly good cellular telephone in his possession) and switches the gadget to silent. Now I know that it's not the presence of mobile technology that actually makes life bearable, but the presence of an accompanying and competent individual to operate the device. So answer your phone! 
Dammit.
Trying to get information from this particular person when he is pyrexic is a lot like asking a 3 year old to help you with your algebra. Pointless.
Here's me trying to find out if he's ever going to come home (alive), and here's him passed out in the emergency ward of a hospital miles away from home. Oh yes, and here's the cell phone on SILENT!
I don't know where he is. I don't know how he is. He won't answer my calls. Maybe he's angry with me. Maybe he doesn't love me any more. Maybe he's dead! I don't know if I'll ever see him again. I don't know how to access his life-insurance policy. 
Here's me again crying, wailing, gnashing teeth. Here I am yanking things out of my wardrobe looking for suitably mournful attire. 
Eventually he returns my calls. It's well after I've started preparing the memorial service order of ceremony. He's going to come home on a different flight. Seems they might have saved his life. Doctor Wonderful said something about Salmonella poisoning. He missed his flight home and will be back the next day.
I breathe. Stupid silent function! Stupid business trip! Stupid multi-city country! Stupid miles and miles between him and me!

When he came home, I killed him.
(Just a bit.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Defamed delirious one here. Hard to worry about calling when you've already reassured Honey that you're fine, just delirious and going into hospital. Also, it's hard to be sure what to say when your fever looks light a Saudi Summer day forecast and someone sticks a needle in your arm and lets you pass out since you haven't slept in 2 days.
Finally, you come to with your Aunt, who stays in that part of the world and your 7 foot cousin standing over you which finally convinces you you have lost the plot entirely, and you switch your mind to overload and listen to The Girl from Iponima hummed quietly to yourself. la la la la lala la la la!
It really wasn't your fault you see!
Salmonella man

Anonymous said...

...know how you feel Jess, not exactly the same situation but same scenario, uncontactable husband who was floating in the ocean, with blood spilling.Yeah, I killed him too.