Monday, April 7, 2008

Becoming Mum

Everybody freeze! Stop world! Halt time! Nobody move! I need a moment here.
...
...
I said don't move!
...
...
Ok.
It's official.
I've become my mother.
...
...
Just breathe.
...
...
Cold winter air is sneaking through the branches of the trees in my garden and stroking my children's noses, fingers and toes with long spindly icicle fingers. My kids are running around having a complete ball - absolutely oblivious to the attentions of Jack Frost (my mother indoctrinated me with warnings of him from the time I knew how to undo my buttons). My children too have heard of Mr Frost, but they think he's something more visitorish like Father Christmas, instead of the bogeyman-like intruder I have desperately tried to convey him as. Why? you ask. Well, that's what my mom told me...
...
But, the real nail in the coffin is this: I have just called my kids (still having fun in the garden) inside to put their jerseys on.
"But Mommy," they implored with rosey cheeks and shining eyes, "we're not even cold!"
Without thinking, the words flew out of my mouth. I couldn't stop them. They were formed and created before I even realised I had said them. "You will put your jerseys on because I am cold," I shuddered the moment the words left my mouth. That's so my mom.
...
So, please, I really just need a moment to deal with myself.

3 comments:

Sprinkle said...

The way I see it is:
Finally! I get to be the boss and they have to listen to Me, because I'm The Mother!

Anonymous said...

This is very, very bad....

Anonymous said...

The worst part is, all the stuff they used to say now makes sense, like: "because I said so!" and "Just because!". Never would have thought we would ever say that kind of stuff, but here we are, and it comes out before one can stop it. But why? you may ask. Just because!
CA