Monday, July 21, 2008

Therapy Thread

I visited the shrink-lady today.

I was so sure that she would be super-impressed with how far along I've come. I was on a high after a magical weekend away with the family in a secluded little fisherman's village, that I just knew she was going to send me home with a noddy badge and a pat on the back. I even considered calling her to cancel our appointment, but in the end decided I wanted to show off just how together I am, after all!

Well. The official tissue tally is 10 - which is a great improvement upon previous ratings. I only needed 3 aspirins to clear the cloud in my head. But the real kick in the crotch is that she made me stay in the clutches of her brain-picking company for close to two hours! Surely there's some medico-legal restriction on charging for that long a consultation, Number one, and Number Two, how the heck did we manage to dig up stuff to talk about for two whole hours when I had started off feeling like the fluffy little chest feathers of a bird in flight as the morning sun warms its beating breast?

The session got pretty involved, as you can imagine, (but not so much on the snot emission side of things), that the dear shrink lady actually offered me a cup of tea at the end of it - I must have made quite the impression... She has also suggested that a possible next step forward would be a dash of hypnotherapy. Um. Excuse me. I mean "excuse me" as in I need to leave now.

Look, I know that I'm not what you might call 'normal', but isn't hypnosis for REALLY crazy folks? And shouldn't I be scared to try it? Or should I see it as a little rebellion from the strict rules I have followed meticulously all my life, and just give it a go? Step out of my shell, so to speak.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's experienced hypnotherapy before...

PS. Being honest about one's mental health can lead to people looking at you like you've contracted some kind of rare tropical disease, and giving you the necessary wide berth to avoid any kind of possible transfer of crazy. Sigh.

1 comment:

Normal Mom said...

Sorry to waste a comment here, cannot share experiences at all. I have never had hypnotherapy although it has come highly recommended by a particular doctor that I do. I am also a little ambiguous about it but I think in the end if it were possibly the one thing that could help me, I would give it a go.....good luck with your decision