Friday, July 25, 2008

Really good jobs

When somebody says they have a really good job, are they referring to what the job does for them in terms of self-improvement, or are they referring to how much they get paid? Or both, maybe?

The term "really good job" is usually used by the older generation when referring to their own children, isn't it? "We're so proud of John, he's got a really good job  (ie he can afford to live on his own and not sponge off on us anymore) and a really nice girlfriend (we're so glad he isn't psychotic) and is turning out pretty ok (when we were actually convinced he wouldn't get out of his teens without a criminal record!)"

In my mind, a really good job is one that helps to set you up for better and greater things (AND pays you handsomely as you go!)

I know several people who have really good jobs, in the sense that they provide the ideal environment for self growth, maturation, skills honing and overall experience,  (please note it's a really BIG comma), but they don't get the salary that would make their parents talk about their really good jobs!

And what about what I do? Pat me on the back and tell me I'm doing a really good job, but mothering is one of those uncategorised occupations, isn't it? Loads of work, plenty of experience, much opportunity for growth and skills honing (especially in the field of self-control), but no satisfying paycheck at the end of the month.

Look, before it comes back at me, let me just say I am not complaining - I chose this path freely, willingly (albeit slightly drugged) and with a complete understanding of what lay in store for me. My question is not really about the money thing (as there is so much reward to being a mother blah, blah, blah), but more about is mothering a really good job to have? Is it admirable? Enviable? Sort after? Exclusive? Great on the resume?

I'm just saying...

No comments: