Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Meaning in the CyberAge

I just googled myself.
458 results.
Only 2 were for me.
And they're no longer relevant.

Sigh.

I so have got to make a mark. Something meaningful. My legacy.

The options are countless, I suppose. But some suck. Unfortunately, these are the options that first come to mind. You know, the ones that go: Jessica C - unremarkable. Jessica C - most loads of washing done in one morning. Jessica C - nothing terribly exciting, as yet. Jessica C - choked on a bottle of radio-active gherkins (yes, the bottle, not the gherkins).

Ok, so that last one might be somewhat exciting, if not awfully intriguing.

The other options, the ones that don't suck, are elusive to me at present. Um. What is it that I actually want? Am I even allowed to think about that? Isn't it terribly selfish determining my own dreams, when there are desperate people in need of saving? Shouldn't I put dreaming aside, and, er, do some saving? And if I never dream, will I ever find out about me? And how important is it for me to find out about me, anyway? Does it matter? Will it change things? How many google results will it take to make my life worthwhile?

Somewhere deep inside, beneath the superhero underwear and beside last night's pudding, I crave to know this person that I dwell inside of. I need to find me. I want to create a legacy. I want to see the worth and value of this life. And so, in between a little people-saving and laundry, I'm going to dig up a dream (or two).

3 comments:

Normal Mom said...

If you happen to find the person i dwell in somewhere out there...let me know....

It is not selfish to want to know who you are...it is selfish not to. You can then go out and save the rest of the world in (Your?)superhero underpants!

Sprinkle said...

According to Google I don't exist. Funny, was looking myself up just the other day too.

Anonymous said...

I googled you. I never knew you had written such a compelling book! Good on you, mate! Sign me a copy sometime, ok?