Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Another 50 Things about Me

Just to bring it to a nice round one hundred:

1. I LOVE pyjamas. I could wear pyjamas day in and day out. I am happiest in my pyjamas.
2. I hate balloons. They're untidy. They look awful after a day or too. They take up too much space. I secretly pop every balloon my kids get within about 24 hours of them bringing those cursed latex spheres home.
3. I can't tell my left from my right. I have to point the forefingers of both my hands upwards to decide which is which. (The hand whose forefinger and thumb make an "L", that's the left one - try it, you'll love it!). In fact, when I did my driver's licence exam, I nervously held onto the steering wheel with both forefingers pointing at the windscreen awaiting the examiner's instruction as to which direction I should turn.
4. I answer my phone: "Jessica Hallo".
5. I got married when I was 20. My dad had to sign consent for me to do it, and that was so embarrassing! I was doing this grown-up thing, but I wasn't grown-up enough to do it on my own - I actually had to get permission. Oi vey!
6. Whenever I see our national flag, I think of y-front underpants.
7. I am seriously addicted to Terry Pratchett.
8. I had a crisis of faith. Now I don't know.
9. My dad dropped me on my head when I was a few months old. In front of a LOT of people.
10. I can read and write backwards. (But I don't think it's because I was dropped on my head as a baby.)
11. I was born the same year that the first test-tube baby was born. Sometimes I wished that it was my claim to fame too.
12. My butt is always ice-cold.
13. I love walking in the rain, but I hate being wet.
14. I usually snore.
15. I used to get grumpy when I was tired. Now, I'm tired so often that it's too much effort to be grumpy.
16. I puked pretty much through my entire first labour. After 12 hours of hurling I ended up having a Caesarean section. Which I didn't throw-up in.
17. For most of my childhood, my nickname was "Flea". I have no idea why.
18. I love singing under the influence of helium.
19. I like hats.
20. I only wear hats when I'm having a bad hair day.
21. I sort my laundry into colour piles: blues + blacks, pinks and reds, whites, oranges, yellows + browns.
22. I could always have another cup of coffee. Thank you.
23. I've never had an imaginary friend, but I did once see a fairy.
24. The first time a boy really kissed me, I nearly choked. It was awful.
25. I don't mind catching frogs, moths or Christmas beetles in my hands.
26. Stupid irritates me.
27. I usually sing in the car.
28. I doodle whenever I'm on the phone. If I'm not driving, of course.
29. I have never been able to stick to a diet.
30. I don't like how people smell. You know, when they're all crowded together. Hot and many.
31. I will not swim if I can't see what's in the water. This includes night time dips in the pool (there might be sharks!)
32. I hate it when people call me Jessy. It's messy. And it sounds like they're calling their dog.
33. I dislike the word "penetrate". It too is messy.
34. I don't like doctors.
35. Everyday I am afraid that people will find out what a loser I really am.
36. Manners are important. If I fail at everything else, at least let my kids be polite.
37. I am not an animal person. I don't mind animals in general, but just not all over me. It took me a really long time to agree to the bunnies.
38. The only time I have been hospitalised was for the births of my children.
39. Acapella intrigues me.
40. I enjoy conspiracy theories.
41. I was bulimic in my final year of school. Not having the will power to deny myself food, I resorted to bingeing and purging in order to get skinny. Eventually I gave that up too, because it was just too much schlep.
42. I have pierced my belly button. Twice. Neither piercing is currently present. Just a nasty scar.
43. I don't like eating breakfast.
44. I love my Mac.
45. I once greeted an egyptian gardener with a "Shalom" instead of "Sa'laam". My husband dragged me away before the poor  guy had time to respond.
46. I had a huge scrapbook dedicated to Princess Diana when I was a young girl. She was just spectacular, and I was sure I would marry Prince William.
47. I used to frequently jump off the roof of the church into the prepared, or not, arms of my childhood hero. I was 5. He was 15. He was everything!
48. I hit a slump everyday at 14h30 and 21h30.
49. My recurrent nightmare as a child was about a giant panda escaping from the Jo'burg zoo.
50. When I sneeze, I implode. I don't know how I do it, but I somehow swallow my sneezes so that it sounds like I'm sniffing. Backwards.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the parentals dropped all of us on our heads at a point. Kind of explains a thing or two

Sprinkle said...

The Princess Diana Scrapbook... me too. And piles and piles of magazines with The Wedding. And Prince William was definitely supposed to be mine.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only meanie mum who popped balloons when the kids aren't watching...I feel better.