Sunday, March 30, 2008

Stuck on a desert island

For more than 24 hours I have had no access to the internet. I am half way across the world away from my home and family and suddenly I was cut off from blogging, from facebooking, from googling, from cyber-surfing. Ouch! Can I even begin to explain how uncomfortable the last day has been? It felt a lot like having your tonsils out. Without anaesthetic. While you've got a wedgey. In the front. And your socks are too tight. And there's a bug trying to attract the opposite species from the confines of his cozy new home which he's just set up in your ear. And your hands are tied.
No amount of coffee, sleep or crafting has been able to relieve my anxiety.
But I'm back, Baby! And I am breathing easy once more. Phew!
My separation from the Holy Grail that is an internet connection lead me to think of times gone by. How on earth did we ever, ever survive without internet, without mobile phones, without satellite TV, with Apple? How did mankind plod along for thousands of years worrying about building their pyramids to imitate the stars and connecting them to life out there somehow, when they could have been chatting up a storm on Skype?
The thought of paying a runner with a cleft stick to take a message home to my peeps did cross my mind briefly, but in the dash across my mind, the runner tripped up on some of the mental debris I have been sorting out lately and twisted his ankle. So much for that then. I also thought about writing a letter to post off, but my handwriting seems to have deteriorated, I'm ashamed to admit, but what with the advent of the PC, well, the keyboard kinda killed the caligraphy star, didn't it?

1 comment:

Sprinkle said...

My favourite T-Shirt reads "I love my computer, my friends live there". So true. My connection to the world.