Friday, October 24, 2008

Vrot

I feel vrot. Annie, my dear American friend who I have lovingly taught naughty Afrikaans phrases to, vrot means yuck. Blergh. Sicky. Snotty. Puffy eyed. Blocked eared. Concrete in the head. Rotten.

Lekker vrot is not a good combination, unless you're referring to compost, which you really want to be lekker vrot.

Vrot is a lot like kak, in a way. If I said, "I feel kak," it could infer the same experience as I feel vrot," except kak would include that morning-after-the-night-before, drunken hangover feeling that I have never ever in all my life felt. Er hum.

Vrot is the state of existence that has me putting the milk into the linen cupboard, and throwing my soggy tissues into the cutlery drawer. Vrot makes me a hazard on the road. It is a known fact that you cannot sneeze with your eyes open, right? It is also a known fact that you cannot drive (well) with your eyes closed. Thus there should be some kind of law about driving while sneezing. (My apologies to the guy in the red beamer who flashed his lights and threw a bird at me after swerving to avoid the red faced, eyes closed, oncoming vrot woman who seemed to be having an epileptic fit in her car this morning. I was just sneezing. Sorry.)

So, being vrot is lekker kak. Wish you were here to make it all better

3 comments:

Sprinkle said...

Wish I was there to make you tea, comb your hair, bring you tissues, make you feel better - or at least drive for you!

Thanks for the new term, I'll add it to my list but so far Kak is still tops. I'll have to roll Vrot off the tongue a couple times before making a final decision.

xx

Anonymous said...

Say it with an eff, or 'f', and the other bit as in 'enough'. So, as in frought.

Rob Otto said...

I'd say more like "bought" then "enough"... but then again, Cape Town accents are weird :)