Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Just not that into me

I know someone who is fantastic. She's wonderful. Kind, gentle, admirable in so many ways. From the day I met her, I thought of her as a friend. I felt like we connected. We view so many things in the same way.

Well. Punch me in the gut! Guess what? Having things in common is not what makes people friends. Who would have thunk it!

You see, I have cared for this person. Loved her. Comforted her. Spoilt her when I could. Loved her children. Supported her in the ways that I could. 

Sure, there were times where I thought she let me down. Thought she could have been more caring and supportive of me when things were rough. She wasn't. And sure, it hurt, but I put it down to the fact that she's a busy girl. She has a lot on her plate. A lot of people are expecting a lot from her. So I didn't put pressure on her to show a degree of commitment to me. I just blindly went on assuming that she was my friend.

And now I think I understand what the last few years must have been like for her (especially my down-in-the-dumps-months where I was verging on the edge of insanity). I think that me hanging around all gaga-like and playing "friend-friend" was like have a horny toy-pom trying to shag your leg in polite company. You try to shake them off, discreetly, but everyone tends to notice a tiny mammal bonking a flapping shin, so you stop. You quietly let the mutt get off on your ankle and hope that no-one's gaze drops below knee-height. That's how it has been. This gorgeous individual is the proverbial ankle, and I am the testosterone-driven canine.

It's kind of embarrassing really. She is just not that into me. Ouch. It's been a hard lesson to learn. But I think I've got the message now.

It's made me wonder about being so open about my feelings, my thoughts, my state of mind. Perhaps honesty is not the best policy after all. Perhaps putting my emotions into this blog is just stupid. Perhaps giving people a really clear view into my soul is more detrimental than not. People don't actually want to know about your short-comings. They don't want to know how you're struggling with issues from your past. The fact that you're on anti-depressive medication is shameful and frightening - if they spend too much time with you, they might catch what you've got too. And, if you are going to be honest about things, you had better have a lot of money to throw around to keep your "friends" close.

Guess I can't be friends with every superhero that walks into my life, right? 

Time to move on, Jessica.

4 comments:

Normal Mom said...

Sounds like you're having a tough time there, sorry to hear it. It is really hard knowing who is who out there and whom to trust and share with, I know.
I, personally admire you for airing your views and innermost thoughts and feelings on your blogg (Iwish I wsa as expressive as you are), it makes you human and those who pretend that life is a walk in the park are just deceiving themselves and are probably in the anti-drepressive closet, I know a few of those too.

Keep your chin up, you are awesome, sorry for her she didn't see it.

Double J N T said...

Give me a "J", give me an "E", give me two "ESSes" - okay so I'm a lazy cheerleader - but a cheerleader all the same!
I wish I was brave and clever like you to write such insightful and clever things.
It may seem embarassing that things weren't reciprocated the way you would've liked but such is life. It doesn't make you a bad person for being a good friend. It happens - it hurts.
I feel for you.

Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you guys how much I appreciate and value your input?

Sprinkle said...

My input (not that you've asked for it) is: don't be so friendly - let people earn your friendship for once, you deserve better, if you're not getting out of it what you want and need - cut your losses... wow I'm a bitch. Halas!