Saturday, May 3, 2008

Preparing for a new Arrival

So I guess it's time to let the proverbial cat out of the bag. Since I really can't hide it for much longer. Plus, the kids are spilling the beans as I type.
We're expecting.
Twins.
It all started with the inevitable plea: "Mommy, can we have a baby brother?". Well, with the state of my ovaries (not to mention my mind) and Daddy's vas deferens, that would be kind of impossible. So, the answer to that, Sweetpeas, is 'No'.
Then the nagging progressed into canine yearning. "Please can we have a puppy, Mommy?" Every single day. At least four times a day. And a puppy is something I just am not ready for. Not now. And the reason has to do with poo. Which I am also not ready for at this point in my life.
With enough persistence (and nagging) I had to eventually consider what it is I would be ready for. And the answer, for those of you that can't stand it any longer, is bunnies. Two of them.
The kids agreed.
Amidst much excitement and babbling we set forth on a hutch-finding mission, deciding that it would be the right thing to do before acquiring the pets. Our search failed miserably. Can you believe that there are no suitable rabbit hutches for sale in the greater Durbanville area? So it was decided that we (and by that I mean "he") would have to make one ourselves (read "he-self").
Two and a half days, and countless trips to the hardware store later, and the man of the house, Mr DIY he-self, presents a smashing, super, larger than necessary, dual entrance, multi-purpose, fully functional rabbit hutch. Ta-daaaaa!
So now the family is officially expecting. The girls are expecting bunnies. Dad is expecting more than a soap-on-a-rope for father's day. And I am expecting the nagging insistence to be quenched for at least half a year. The things we do!
While waiting for the varnish to dry, we did a little internet searching, just to be sure we all know what we're letting ourselves in for. Amongst the first pages we came upon, was a terrifying story that has sort of got me rethinking the whole bunny-as-a-cute-and-cuddly-pet thing, and the potential of Guard-bunnies is somewhat appealing.
Of course we've been warned of the whole be-sure-you-get-two-of-the-same-gender, and I believe that the gestation time for a rabbit is a whopping 30 days, so I suppose it won't take long to figure out if we've been duped by the pet shop!
The excitement at home, of course, is rapidly reaching fever-pitch, and our children just can't bear the waiting any longer.
So wish us luck. Please. This is going to be the start of a new chapter. Eesh.

No comments: