Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bunny Banter

Those bloody bunnies!

Today was a beautiful warm autumn day, so, being the kind person I am, I let the bunnies run free. All morning. Soaking up the sun and having the garden all to themselves, they reveled in the warmth and beauty of the day. Also, they got to exercise those hare hocks of theirs which lead to very fast bunnies by the time playtime was over.
Holly was a bolt of lightening to catch. She's been really pleasant up until now, but she has become as dashing and daring as her sister.
Talking of whom, Jasmine really got into my bad books today. The one's that have bookmarks for rabbit stew and rabbit skin slippers. She chose a new hiding place - behind the scrap wood planks leaning against the wall in the shed. I spent one and a half hours on my own unsuccessfully chasing her out and chasing her back in again. Add to that the fact that my spider-radar was on high alert the whole time, so I wasn't keen to put my hands behind the planks and make wild grabbing attempts at her. It was eventually thanks to T-Bird's unfazed take on spiders, webs and dust that managed to get that fluff ball out from behind the timbers. Looking completely innocent, of course. Like it hadn't taken the last two hours to apprehend her. Like I didn't have better things to do with my time. Like I hadn't got my index finger painfully jammed between a tarantula and the shed wall, and broken two nails in the process. I had to bite my tongue to avoid releasing a barrage of curses aimed at rabbits in general, but only because my kids were delighted to have been present at the time of capture, and were dancing and singing around my ankles somewhere.
So, of course, the bunnies have been grounded. No garden outings for a week! (I think I'm stricter on the rabbits than my kids... I can't re
member ever grounding my own offspring...)
While nursing my damaged digits I happened to look out of the kitchen window and caught a glimpse of bunny fluff in the rabbit hutch. It isn't a very good vantage point, I'll admit,  but it's just enough to check on them when there's a reason for not wanting to go outside - like rain, or hawks, or really big spiders. What I (thought I) saw made me choke on my post bunny-hunting cuppa. Two rabbits, inflagrata, bonking like bunnies! I dashed outside despite the rain/ hawks/ really big spiders, only to find the two dears preening and cleaning themselves on separate sides of their cage. 
Am I going mad? Or blind? 
"Did my eyes deceive me?" I demanded from the two shivering fluff balls. "They better have! And besides, you guys are SISTERS. Hellooooo!!"
Someone keep a note of the date please, because I am too busy watching that those two don't get too friendly with one another.
And just in case you were wondering why I've let myself in for the whole pet-schlep thing, it's this:


No comments: