Thursday, January 22, 2009

Help! I'm raising a perfectionist!

So AirBear started at "big" school yesterday. Joining her big sister, I thought things would be great (especially for me having only one venue to travel to).

Well, understandably, the poor child had a serious case of butterflies leading up to the big day. Perhaps not noticeable to the untrained eye, as she tends to be very guarded with her emotions - always putting on a brave face - but I picked up the waver in her voice, the shivers in her knees, the ache in her tummy, the restless nights leading up to her first day.

At school, that morning, she gave me permission to leave her, of course, because she's big and brave and together, so I kissed her and left. Later in the day, when I collected her, I asked how the day had gone.

"Not too good," she mumbled, and then refused to tell me what had happened until, by the time we got home, I was pulling my hair out.

"Come have lunch in the kitchen, and you can tell me all about your day," I suggested.

She turned to walk up the passage, her little head bowed. "I just need to go cry in my room," she said.

OMG! How much of the anguish must I bear?

No, I didn't let her do it, of course not. I followed her to her room and found her curled up on her bed. I cuddled her and kissed her and tickled her to get one of her magical smiles. T-Bird joined us, and in our complicated entanglement AirBear related what had happened to her.

A bit of a disjointed story, but it all came down to two separate things where she had failed to do what was expected of her. No pressure is put on them at this stage, but this dear little person expects so much from herself. She wants to do everything right. All. The. Time. She seldom tries new things unless she is sure she can do it to begin with. She gives herself no room for mistakes.

As her mom, I know that she needs time to adjust and settle, and that it will go well. She has a super teacher, and there are only 17 kids in her class. She knows the teacher, her sister is just a few doors away. But, oh! My dear little sparrow! Don't be so unforgivably hard on yourself! Things don't always have to be completely perfect. You don't always have to be perfect. In fact, you never have to be perfect. Just be yourself. Have fun. Relax. There is so much time for you. And you will be ok.

Please be ok.

PS On a lighter note, I have my first official order in for a name board - Yay!

1 comment:

Grumpy said...

Likewise, dear one.