Monday, November 17, 2008

Unfinished Business

So I'm a really good thinker of new ideas. I've got plenty perfect plans just boiling away in the back waters of my brain. You want a new idea? I've got hundreds. And they're original too! Just don't ask me to implement them, ok?

I've had so many fantastic ideas that bubbled over into novel action that fizzled out somewhere between conception and final product. Implementing is really not my strong point!

And because of this unhappy marriage of excellent ideas and poor application of them, I find myself surrounded by so many unfinished projects, things that got off to a super start, and then faded under the weight of another new and exciting idea.

There's the turquoise roll-neck jersey I started knitting in highschool that is serving as fertile breeding ground for a family of fishmoths in the back of the cupboard.

There's the candy stripe blanky I started crocheting at the start of winter. It was supposed to be my first crochet project adorning one of my daughter's beds. Well, winter is over, and the "blanket" or first third of it anyway, waits patiently in a Mr Price packet behind the bar.

Behind the bar... now those are dangerous words! If you're looking for uncompleted projects, behind the bar is a positively high-yielding area to begin your search.

There's the twin fabric collages, in their virginal state, meant for the children's bedroom walls, untouched. There's a ballerina cross-stitch in demi-pirouette sandwiched between half a penguin mask and an unpacked first-aid kit in mid-replenishment.

There's the cupboard brimming to capacity with sample paints to determine what colour is going to work best on the braai-room wall. The braai-room wall is still the mouldy gray it was the day we arrived in these sacred hallows.

There's an overcrowded bag of CDs waiting to be reclaimed into the CD cupboard or dispensed of - just a couple of moments needed to sort them is all they need.

Let's squeeze our way out of the bar, and head outside, shall we?

There's half a veggy patch that was intended to contribute to our daily salad requirements. Well, I got as far as spinach (that actually took!), and the rest has sort of, I dunno, been offered to the bunnies as a sort of nonchalant peace treaty, ie: here have a green pepper and stop growling at me!

There are several other projects in mid existence that are currently floating between my garden walls. Hmmm, garden walls... well the first half of my garden boundary wall is painted, and, well, then it started raining, and the plants grew in front of the other half, so the rest remains unpainted.

Sigh.

There's a bench dying for new cushions that I keep meaning to get.
There's a sand pit dying for fresh digging tools that I'm in the middle of recycling.
There's a shed that I keep meaning to repaint. I got as far as the fascia board. And then. Um.
I removed half of the crappy old lighting wires stuck all over my patio roofing. Yes, there are two bits of lights and wiring that remain behind. And I don't know why I didn't get to them. I think the kids...I don't know.

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about the other undertakings that I've undertook, and I realise, ashamedly, that every room in my house holds some suggestion of an unfinished project of mine. Jeez.

Ok, so that's that then. This is my end of year resolution: I'm going to dive head first into all my unfinished projects so that when 2008 breathes it's last, I will be released from as many of them as I can, and all the guilt that goes with that.

So excuse me please. I have a crap load of things to do. (Starting with baking a box of muffins I just found in the pantry. The expiry date is tomorrow. See, these things are just everywhere!)

1 comment:

Gus said...

You've inspired me ... lot's of unfinished business here too! 1,2,3,4,5 ... too many to count :)