Monday, November 10, 2008

The Pet Dilemma

Ok. So let's review the bunnies, shall we?
You haven't heard much about them for some time, and it' s really not because they died and I was quietly hoping that no-one would notice.

No, the bunnies are alive and well.

Rewind a couple of weeks.

I started worrying that something was dreadfully wrong with the rabbits. They seemed aggressive. They would scratch and bite and even growl everytime I came close to them. Which was every day. Yet I persevered and touched them and stroked them and bunny-cuddled them despite the welts and grazes the left all over my body.

Deep into the night I would puzzle over their changed behaviour, when one night it struck me, I need to let them out of their cage!

Now their hutch is quite a large home. Bigger than most bunny cages around, but lacking in natural vegetation, if you know what I mean.

So about a week ago, the bunnies were released into the garden. And what a change! They really did become happy. I could approach Holly without any problem and stroke her and cuddle her while she munched on lush green lawn grass. And, may I just add, that two sparkling white balls of fluff hopping around a currently GREEN garden, is incredibly aesthetically pleasing.

But aesthetics only go so far. At what point, I wonder is a happy bunny more important than a happy green pepper plant, for instance. Or a happy daisy bush? Or a happy Sweet pea? Or a happy lawn without big fat burrows tunneled through it? That's right, the bunnies are doing what comes naturally. I've lost a number of veggie and herb plants, there's a tunnel under the roots of a recently moved palm that I've been very careful with for the last 4 weeks, and my daisy bush is without daisies all of a sudden.

So my garden is in grave danger of an overhaul, but the rabbits are on cloud 9.

What to do? What to do?

1 comment:

Tertia said...

you do what I am going to do - fence off a section of your garden that they are free to roam in, but that basically keeps them in. Happy bunnies, happy sweet peas