Thursday, May 28, 2009

The chill factor

A mom in the crowd of the "patient waiters" who gather outside the school gates at 12:30 every day asked me if I still hate winter. She caught me a bit off-guard. 

"Huh? Sorry?"

"Last year you said you hated winter and that you couldn't get up in the mornings," she reminded me.

Wow, I thought, good memory for a lady who's just had a baby.

"Hmmm, I did say that, didn't I?" 

It's true. I hate winter mornings. It's dark, so there's no pressing reason to get up. It feels like my alarm is going off in the middle of the night. Every. Single. Morning. It's cold and my bed is so, so warm. Most winter mornings I will be running late, because I just can't get myself going. It feels so wrong to leave the cosy sanctuary of my eiderdown.

I don't mind the rest of the day, really. It's quite satisfying bundling up against the chill, watching the rain drizzle outside, sipping on hot chocolate. By evening, a fire is lit, heaters are on, fuzzy slippers are the required footwear. Winter, itself is a festive and pancake-worthy season. But those winter mornings! How I wish we could start a normal winter day with a bit of sunshine and flip flops. Even daylight savings would be worth a shot if it meant we could just get the day going a little bit later.

Please, Uncle Jacob! Please can we start winter days later?

1 comment:

Sue said...

It is just impossible to get up in this horrible weather. I'd die living anywhere remotely colder. Not to mention that it's still actually only autumn until next week, I'm not sure how I'm going to hold my job till spring!

XXX